Season of Giving: 5 Non-Profits to Consider Donating To
So many people are opting to give experiences versus physical presents this holiday season. If you’re looking to join in on the alternative gift challenge, consider donating to a nonprofit organization on behalf of a friend or family member. We’ve got the perfect list of nonprofits to which you can spread holiday cheer.
- The Lemonade Circle – This San Antonio-based nonprofit is making changes in the world of young women of color, and we’re here for it. Girls ranging from 5th grade to 12th grade are welcome to “Make LEMONADE” (Leading, Excelling, Mentoring, Overcoming, Networking, Affecting, Discovering, and Exploring) by engaging in groups called Empowerment Circles that are built based on specific “paths.” For example, the “Senior Roundup Empowerment Circle” is aimed to allow TLC members to help seniors in the community with needs. In addition, the “Mirrors and Windows Empowerment Circle” will enable members to study important tropes in media and literature in hopes of self-reflection and learning. Several other Empowerment Circles allow members to find what sparks their joy and leadership skills, and we’re excited about their future. Consider donating here quickly through PayPal Giving.
- The Junior League of San Antonio – If you’ve ever visited the Holiday Olé Market on a chilly fall day in Downtown San Antonio, you can thank The Junior League of San Antonio. JLSA has been empowering local San Antonio-area women since 1924. Members commit to volunteering in community projects that help our community flourish while building leadership skills. Any donations can go toward community events and the leadership training of its members, helping its volunteers grow professionally and personally. You can donate here through their website.
- Any Baby Can – The mission of this vitally-important nonprofit is simple: help families with children facing serious health or developmental challenges. Any time a child is diagnosed with a chronic illness, disability, or developmental delay, it can cause a significant burden on the family. Still, Any Baby Can helps families get essential resources to support the family succeed at providing a bright future for the child. Donating is accessible through their Donation Portal.
- Children Matter Family Life Center: Supervised visitation can quickly turn into a stressful event for all involved. Luckily, Children Matter Family Life Center has created a warm, safe, and home-like environment for parents and guardians to convene safely. This way, children in the middle of a potentially messy situation can experience a less cold environment while getting much-needed family time. You can donate here or visit their Facebook page to learn more about other volunteer opportunities.
- Gardopia Gardens – What do you get when you add a community in need and some potting soil? Gardopia Gardens, based in San Antonio, helps those in an obesity-stricken city learn the value of freshly-grown produce and wellness. Part of their vision is to equip San Antonio youth with tools to create sustainable ways of life through the power of gardening. Visit their donation website to give, and visit their online shop to learn more about field trips, classes, and more.
In case you missed it: Check out our last blog “The Holidays are Here… Let’s Reflect!“ to learn about the most important gift you can give your loved ones during this holiday season!